The Global Center on Adaptation is located on the Rijnhaven in Rotterdam. It is next to the municipal floating park and the Wikkelboats.
The office is a timber construction built on 15 concrete hulls. These concrete hulls hold all the buoyancy force of the contruction. The concrete hulls are interconnected with center pins and the deck on top of the basement.
On the ground floor, accessible to the public, is a restaurant with a large outdoor terrace and a swimming pool on the Maas.
The engineering of the exterior floating pool and access bridge from the Floating Park is also designed bij Bartels & Vedder. The Floating Office Rotterdam (FOR) or Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is located aproximately 27 meters from phase 1 of the Floating park. The connection between the two part is made with the use of a floating dock with bridges.
- Engineering and structural design of:
- the floating foundation | concrete hulls (office & bridge)
- mooring poles
- the structure of the deck (office & bridge)
- Determining and engineering the stability and draught (depth)
- Principle drawings for the construction of the concrete hulls and the decks
- Client: RED company
- Status: completed in 2021